Thursday, May 03, 2007

Nearly New

Nearly new and used are not necessarily the same thing. Well not in my view. See, used to me is one step from totally worn out.

Whereas nearly new can mean it was not used, just maybe sitting on some shelf for a while. So it isn't new, but wasn't used enough to be called used.

Those for me are the kinds of bargains you can find at times. Like in estate sales. I never mind checking them out for some nearly new gems that might be purchased cheaply.

Now adding to that appeal is dealing with the, ahem, grieving family members. Yeah, I'm talking about the ones who are sitting there with dollars signs and wondering much granny's crap will fetch. Sentiment is not the motivation here.

So naturally, all they want to do is get rid of the crap. Oh they will call them keepsakes, but not the kind they plan on keep for anybody's sakes.

But I do let them play their game and create the illusion they are sad. However, I know the truth so I just pretend to believe them when they ask a given price.

The thing is often since it is something they never actually have a clue about in terms of the real price. Their lust just gets the best of them.

Which is why I can just stand there and savor toying with their minds a bit. I just you know act like I'm not really interested.

Then I make them squirm a tad. You know look at the item and make comments about any flaws.

That normally is good for making them squirm a bit. Which only helps me in terms of getting the price down a tad.

Now if I really see something valuable sometimes I will call up a few people to go buy and look at it, but not buy it. Then when I go by the people are definitely panicked.

Ah, it really is the little things that do make a difference. And I truly love collecting all those precious mementoes from such great experiences.

Just brings a tear to my eye at times. The joy that comes for a well thought out plan. There is no other feeling quite like it.

Alas, I do so wish there was a way to embrace such feelings so much more. But then ther just aren't enough people who die with big estates.

Perhaps I need to work on that part. Yeah, that's it, I'm going to see what I can do to improve that situation. Guess I'll talk to mortuary folks on that one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home