Saturday, December 16, 2006

GIVE AND TAKE A GIFT OF TAKING

My desire here is to reflect upon the basic practice of giving. Now from my view there are all kinds of giving. Some are nobler perhaps than others, but essentially the issue here is that when you give it means you are taking something you have and allowing someone else to possess it.

Which comes down to knowing that the gift you've given cost you something and helps the other person. It isn't a hard concept. At least, not too me.

However, where this subject gets muddled for me is in the area of real sacrifice. What makes it truly special is when the person doing the giving really suffers some kind of loss. Otherwise it is just more like a tip or has some ulterior motive so the person doing the giving looks like a generous person, but really isn't.

For me of course, I'm the kind of guy who love having the illusion of being generous without really being generous. It is so much cheaper on the pocket.

So, for example, donating to charity and then being able to claim it on your income is a good thing to me. Because you get a tax break and at the same time get to look like a nice guy.

Likewise, if you are a politician like myself you get to do all kinds of things of a charity nature that make it seem like you care about people. But with me these are normally done for publicity and seldom does anyone ask when I show up at some fundraiser if I personally chipped into the kitty for the event. I'm sure glad that they don't corner me and make me confess that truth.

Why am I even bringing up this subject? Well I guess because I'm jealous of the pros in giving.

These are the ones that collect money for things like needy causes. Now I imagine some are legitimate, but do we always know for sure?

The real answer is nope. Oh, every once and a while somebody from the government will catch a person in the act who is collecting money of worthy causes and pocketing it, but in others they never get caught.

Those are my heroes. To scam people and be thought of as a hero takes real talent. And I'm darn proud to know such wonderful beings exist. I just wish I could compete with them. Sigh!

But life goes on and I'm still savoring each time I get to look like a great guy while in reality acting like a jerk. Those are times you can buy that easy.

In the meantime if you need someone to help raise money for any needy causes I am available. For a consideration of a no questions asked expense account. Need I say more?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home