Wednesday, December 06, 2006

DO IT AND SHUT UP

Oh how wonderful it would be to work with a bunch of utterly loyal and obedient mutes. The kind that wouldn't ask stupid questions are argue when you asked them to do something.

I have tried to achieve that effort, but you know people, even employees just aren't inclined to be totally subservient without occasionally asking questions or expression their opinion. Robots might be nice too. Providing they could actually function without going crazy.

Unfortunately robots are quite available with the type of technology to totally replace office workers. I'm still hoping, but I don't see that coming down the road.

Of course I'm a realist too. I know that if they figured a way to come up with robot workers sooner or later they would come up with robot bosses.

The only thing I might feel good about in that type of futuristic world is that politicians would be harder to replace. I mean at least of the type we have today.

There might be a program you could develop that would allow a robot to lie like a politician. But I bet it wouldn't be that easier to develop.

Well, I keep hoping at least. However, I do also appreciate how you know they might want robots instead of politicians because they wouldn't lie. That by itself would be cause for concern, but worse would be the idea that they wouldn't need a paycheck either.

About the only good part in all of that is I don't think we want computers making laws. It would be hard I think to get a computer to appreciate why humans need some laws. After all a compute doesn't have to worry about money, food, breathing or water. So could it really see the logic to having laws to deal with those necessities?

I imagine the programmers would say they would figure it out. But I'm grateful that I won't live to see that day. Hopefully, I won't.

In the meantime, I still dream of a world where employees do more doing and less talking. That is one nice thing about the email option. You can dump them without ever reading them.

Or you can send a prewritten response that you never really care about, but hopefully shuts the person up. Who knows with a little effort perhaps we can use emails to replace all office conversation!

Ah, that would be so sweet. Imagine meetings, instructions, shoot practically all need for communication reduced down to a memo sent via an email. I might need to propose that providing I can find that list I misplaced of email addresses for all my help. It is such a pain when you are used to ignoring them and then have a reason to actually send them an email. I guess I'll have to come up with a system for that too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home