Sunday, October 22, 2006

OLD AND RUSTY

No, I'm not talking about junk. Not in terms of things rusting in some dump somewhere. I'm thinking in terms of people this time. Naturally I'm speaking of old people.

Actually, I should qualify that. I'm not speaking in terms of those who are elderly in terms of years. I have no doubt I have probably confused some by that comment.

From my view a person can be old in terms of their thinking without actually being old in years. And when I mention old in that regard I'm not talking about mature. I'm talking about somebody who is so set in their ways, they are living in another time zone in terms of reality.

It only follow in my thinking that the same person will be rusty in terms of a willing to risk or try new things. They are the consummate pessimists because they have convinced themselves how giving up is far better than trying something different.

In my opinion such people honestly might was well dig a grave and crawl inside. If you are going to stop living in any way what is the point of keep on going? That might be cruel to some, but I think it is honest.

True, it is said, but it still is part of what I face everyday where I live. You always have to battle the defenders of the 'no faith.' That is what I call those who want to preserve the status quo no matter how much it sucks.

You can do what you want to point out how stupid there point of view is and how miserable they are, but trying to get them to change is pointless. It is sort of like seeing a person in a pit full of crap and standing next to a ladder who is crying "woe is me," but is smiling and has no intentions of escaping.

Inside, you might feel a twinge of sympathy for the person, but honestly how easy is it to feel the person really needs help? It isn't for me.

And as a Mayor of Mediocrity believe me that problem truly does wear me out. I meet all kinds of people who talk as they want help, but then have a million excuses for why they will never change. Somewhere in all of it normally I will end up being blamed for the whole problem.

Which is okay since such complaints are always lacking any facts because they are driven by emotions. So a lie generally takes care of the problem since they are dealing in truth in the first place.

That doesn't mean I enjoy the process. Just that it means I have to expend a great deal of energy trying to figure new and creative ways to say the same old lies. Which can be boring at time. But it is the only kind of oil that truly works on the rusty minds I deal with who retired from life at some point, yet still keep functioning at some silly level that I have to deal with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home