Sunday, January 29, 2006

LITTLE BIG MOMENTS

These to me are the episodes that never live up to one’s expectations. They are preceded by all kinds of hype and commentaries, but when they take place you have to fight to keep from yawning.

Not to offend any sports fans, but honestly how many times have you tuned in to watch some athletic event because it held the promise of being fantastic, but ended up incredibly boring. Now with sports it is partially understandable. After all people are human and not perfect. Even a great athlete can have the occasionally bad day.

What is amazing is how even if something turns out boring we still keep watching. Take the Super Bowl for example. Does anyone want to tell me that the majority of those broadcasts have been riveting? Just like some heavyweight boxing matches. Do you feel glued to your seat in awe by some match that lasts three rounds?

The point to all of this is that I think in reality it is us who watch that have the problem. Are our lives so piss poor and boring that we can’t find something better to do with them that watch a program just because it is touted as great? To do so with a host of experience in our system and brains that says otherwise tells me that we are the ones with the problem.

Do we care? Nope. Do advertisers and sponsors of the events know this? Yep. So as they say the beat goes on.

Thus you can gripe about how it gets dull, you can complain about how some event was not much for entertainment, but we both know you’ll be back watching it next time. Why? Now that is the tough question and I’m not sure we really want to know the truth.

Am I suggesting that we should stop watching sports? Not at all. Just be honest for crying out loud. We are going to do it because our own lives suck and we just don’t necessarily have enough creativity to think of something better to do.

As I said I personally plead guilty to this myself. You can pretty much count on me to sit down glue to the old tube next week if I can and watching a couple of groups of well paid athletes go out and beat up on each other.

I might find myself disappointed in how I so eagerly fall into a habit of doing this in terms of television. But as a politician I watch to help maintain my faith in mankind. As long as I can see how many people will put up with such things gives me joy. For it means that I can pretty much anticipate they will do the same in terms of politics. And that spells votes for me.

So what can I say? Maybe thank you? After all if it wasn’t for such behavior then I might have to get off my rear end and do some real work. Which is definitely not on my list of desired options naturally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home