Thursday, January 26, 2006

FORECASTNG THE WEATHER

It has been said that everyone complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it. And we all know it is unpredictable. Yet how often do we listen to the weatherman anyway?

I’m telling you that weatherman have to be the luckiest and most blessed people on the planet. Name me one other prophet related occupation where you can be wrong as often as they are and still have people come back and listen to you again? Is that success or what?

You just gotta ask what makes us such saps for doing that? I mean if somebody else kept saying things that turned out wrong as often as they do we would totally ignore them, right? I say no.

After all weathermen are generally part of news broadcast. And we still watch them often too no matter if what they say turns out right or wrong.

So I guess in the end you really do have to ask why are we so stupid to keep putting up with this? And the mystery is we keep doing it even when we know it is dumb. I don’t call that the weatherman’s fault or the newsman’s fault. It is our fault.

You might what is the point of mentioning this is the first place. Well for me it is a celebration. Yep you said it I consider this to be a celebration.

For a career politician, such as myself, just knowing people buffer themselves in some arenas so they don’t have to fret over disappointment works to my advantage. After all when I can depend upon the fact that no matter how incompetent my city government gets the main thing that will happen is complaining, I can relax.

Oh I do have to go through the motions naturally of things like giving speeches around election time that promote the myth that change is just around the corner. But after I do that and the election is over then I go back to life as before, with and ardent attention to merely ignoring things I don’t have to actually change.

And just like with the weatherman forecasting weather that never happens most people react the same way to my efforts. They just keep coming back for more, lord bless them all.

That ends up being a form of paradise I guess in my case. Which might explain why I too turn on the weather each night and actually try to trust the guy will be right for a change.

Ah the great thing about the political weather is in my town no matter how hot you think it is going to get it almost always is clouded by mediocrity. And I don’t even need to be a weatherman to know that. As long as I keep the people from deciding to try and get too many umbrellas or a new political weatherman, life will continue to rain as I claim it does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home