Monday, January 16, 2006

DEATH TO ALL

In general I’m not really crazy about the subject of death. All that dying, mourning and funerals is one of the things you know it going to happen like taxes, but I just can’t get excited with regards to the subject. Maybe there are some that do like an undertaker, but for myself I’d rather not talk about the subject if I don’t have to.

For some people though it seems that they regard death as the perfect solution to eliminating a problem. Like with the death penalty. You may or may not agree with the idea of capital punishment, but one thing we do know for sure a dead person is definitely not going to commit the same crimes.

I’m not going to debate the death penalty with this posting. I don’t see how you can ever expect in any way to accomplish that in terms of getting any agreement from everyone. Some will scream “kill, kill” no matter what and others will say, “wait a minute this just too terrible.” I hope you don’t mind if I yawn at those two options.

My basic goal with this posting is to more deal with the idea of people who think death to something bad is a good idea. Okay, let’s massacre things like poverty, injustice even diseases. I can handle killing those problems off. Wouldn’t it be great if we could? Maybe someday I suppose we will achieve it or a reasonable option perhaps. Emphasis on reasonable naturally.

In the meantime the one thing I do appreciate is how there is a difference, like with many things, where you say one thing and really mean another. For example when we want something dead it means to me that we hate it so much we just want it out of our lives permanently. But we don’t always grab a gun and toddle off and point it at our problem and pull the trigger.

Nope, that isn’t our method in all cases. Instead we shoot blanks in terms of criticisms and then treat a person or thing like they don’t exist. Thus in reality what have we done? We’ve killed them without actually pulling a trigger. Maybe we don’t call it that, but isn’t it really what we are doing?

Such as a person who would say fight against the death penalty because they want to prove how caring they are and yet will totally ignore the needs of people who are victims. I have a little trouble appreciating how fighting for the rights of some murderer and not caring at all about the pain of a victim to be something less than a genuine form of care. It is to me just a different version of tolerating the indifference towards life that you have in essence treated as not important to see it actually is able to really live.

Now on the flip side you’ve got the law and order hard line folks who want to kill the bad guys, not to mention anyone who pisses them off, but will be more than happy to kill some doctor who does abortions. I have trouble seeing where these folks are really any better than the first group. To me it all comes down to really saying death to somebody, just changing the name to protect you own sense of conscience.

Meanwhile, I’ll just continue to sit back and practice my own form of death to somebody. Only in my case it is to a person’s wallet. Money to me is a lot better thing to kill than any life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home