Monday, January 30, 2006

BIG LITTLE MOMENTS

Ah now this is a real thrill. Those times when you don’t expect much out of situation and then it surprises you and turns out to be something really special. Yeah I can really look forward to them.

Too bad they don’t happen very often. At least not as often as I wish. And if you aren’t careful you can miss them completely. Mainly because you aren’t expecting them.

As Mayor of the city of Mediocrity the one thing that really bugs me is having to attend so many special functions where some small group is having an event. It always is an event that is tailor to their own interests.

We’re talking like some group of bookworms having a poetry reading. That’s okay. I’m not against it. I just don’t have any personal interest in it. But I do get invited and they are voters, so I will make the effort to attend.

By standards of boredom that is my standards, a poetry reading isn’t the worst option. If the people are fairly talented I might even hear something decent. And the normally have decent refreshments.

So let me give you just a small list of other “yawn” wonderful such events I have been called upon to attend. There were the concerned citizens for trying to help save endangered species. Their big campaign when I was asked to attend was a fundraiser to try and save some stupid beetle from extinction. I’m not sure, which was worse their stale speeches or the equally stale and bland chicken they served. Not exactly the highlight of my week or month or even year for that matter.

Oh there have been so many other fabulous gems over the years. Most are not memorable that’s for sure. Which is my whole point, I get conditioned to practice my groaning when I do get invited to these events.

The only thing that makes it remotely promising is that every once and a rare while I luck out and some small event will turn out to truly be pleasant. It might be the food, the subject of the meeting or event the great looking women in attendance.

So I keep that in mind while heading off to the latest event. I wish my batting average included more home runs than strikes out in that regard, but it doesn’t.

Still I do what I can to be sure I don’t disappoint and not show up no matter how boring, stupid or otherwise the event might be. I consider it in one way to be a form of lottery or gambling.

If I win then it means I managed to find yet another big little moment and that isn’t all bad. However if I lose, well then I just regroup and hope that next time will be better. And in my life with my situation I can always count on their being a next time no matter how much I wish this was ancient history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home