Tuesday, December 20, 2005

STUPID IS AS SOMEBODY SAYS DO IT

Have you ever had those moments of lament when you looked back at some blunder and asked, “What the heck was I thinking?” This is a rhetorical question, which really isn’t one you want someone to answer since you already know that information. It’s called being human. Although that doesn’t mean we have to rejoice in such a hopeless mar in our thinking.

A few years ago there was a movie about a mentally challenged main character that stumbled through life and had the most amazing as well as blessed experiences. In this movie they made famous the phrase “stupid is as stupid does.” I think that truly does express the reality of choices in some cases. You based your decision on bad information or faulty thinking and it spells disaster regardless of how smart you think you are.

So I’m not sure you have to be stupid to make stupid choices. It might make for a better excuse than those of us we who think we aren’t stupid might come up with, but that doesn’t guarantee you can expect to go through life without making a few mistakes.

I don’t think I’m saying anything new or that people don’t really know. So how come we end up with so many times seeing people doing their best to lie rather than admit they were having a really bad day?

What really annoys me is that I can sit here and ramble on about this fact and I still end up getting into those mindsets in which I expect perfection. I wish I could avoid that problem, but I just know that sooner or later I’m going to get sucked into some fit of overconfidence and then the next thing that happens it some truly embarrassing episode will occur. Any guesses on who gets the bill for the humiliation?

I’m trying to work on being more understanding with the people who work for me in this area. That truly takes a great deal of effort though. Some of them don’t seem to get through a day without making a bad choice.

That almost ends up coming back to haunt me because they will have the prudence to pick a time when as many people as possible not only learn about the blunder, but also they do it in a way that ensures it reflects upon me. I don’t have any idea how they always achieve that little part. However I know if I learn about if from some phone call of complaint the next thing that happens is that somebody decides it is all my fault.

There are times I do my best to try and tell myself that perhaps the worse is over. That if I just get through this valley of stupidity I won’t have to visit another one.

It sure sounds wonderful. Maybe someday it will even be true. For the present I just try to be content with any day that somebody doesn’t call one of my employees and me morons as a good day. Who knows perhaps today will be one of those? Darn the phone is ringing. “Hello? Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Sorry about that. Could you hold on for a second please? Thanks.”

Guess I’ll have to wait till tomorrow to see if it is a good day. Right now I’m just hoping that I can think of a good lie to keep this guy from carrying out his threats!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home