Wednesday, December 21, 2005

PASSING THE OTHER GUY'S BUCK

President Harry Truman was well known for the saying “the buck stops here.” It was commendable and very courageous of him to be willing to accept responsibility for the things that happen during his administration.

That might have worked for him, but I’m not so lucky. Okay call that being a wimp if you want, but since unlike the President I’m not by nature an honest person, I have a whole lot of reasons to not want to let the buck of accusation come anywhere near me. You can be assured that I work very hard not only dodge any bucks passed my way, but in passing them to others whenever possible. I am governed in that regard by the basic political tenet as it applies to your typical greedy and lying elected official. That goes “there is no problem small enough to not blame on somebody else.”

There are some I’m sure that would frown on such a philosophy. However I imagine that most of them have never been elected either. And I imagine they never will even if by chance they should decide to run.

Perhaps there are even a few politicians who manage to get reelected without passing the buck, but I have a feeling a lot more are a little less than truthful in that regard. Which is okay by me even if they would prefer to pretend that the lies they tell about the truth are really not lies.

I didn’t really mean to take that detour. It just is hard to avoid going down that road once I get on this subject.

My main reason for talking about it though was to speak more of the art of providing that glorious and loving practice of helping somebody else to pass a buck. Ah let me tell you there is no more satisfying a feeling that having helped somebody out with such a good deed.

Although there may be a few less that uninhibited souls out there who would be inclined to question calling such a act of charity and tolerance as good, I consider it that one. First of all for me it is the compassion of acknowledging that everyone makes mistakes. Secondly it is attempting to be a source of encouragement that grants the person some form of mercy and a chance to start over. I think that is so important when dealing with people who serve in the public’s eye.

Having said all of that I don’t wish to leave anyone with the wrong impression. That was just part of what I tell people when they are in such a need and I’m involved I some way.

As for my most important motivation, well what can I say? I have always found those I lend a helping deceitful had too as most grateful for my assistance.

Which when used in the right way can come in very handy later when I call upon them for a favor. (Or call upon them to pay for me to keep my mouth shut to insure I end up with amnesia.)

Yep, there is not substitute for the simple joy of helping others. (Unless it is the bag of cash I get at times for such assistance!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home