Wednesday, December 20, 2006

DOLLARS TO DONUTS (GLAZED THANK YOU VERY MUCH)

Do you ever wonder where they come up with some of these sayings? This particular one seems most often to be associated with the idea that betting dollars to donuts means something you think happens to be turn.

I'm not sure for gamblers what the actual rate of exchange is for dollars to donuts, but I do know that in the end it would seem if you lost you still won. By that I mean if you fork over cash for some donuts then you got something in return for your money.

That's not always true with all kinds of wagers is it. And I assume that perhaps somewhere in the distant pass when donuts were more dominant as a food this was more important. I'm not suggesting that they are necessarily a dying breed. I'm just saying what with bagels, croissants and this preoccupation with eating healthy these days, donuts are not quite the king of morning they might have once been.

So maybe we need to amend that phrase these days to dollars to say, the nutritionally balanced, organically nurtured breakfast entree that adequately provides an appropriated source of vitamins for the well being and health of the consumer. Doesn't quite have the ring to it of dollars to donuts does it?

And let me tell you if you haven't been to one of those gourmet coffee places for some of their brew coffee with an Italian sounding name to go with that breakfast feast, then it definitely needs to be more like tens of dollars to donuts or whatever. I doubt that the person or persons who invented this phrase did so while waiting in line for a super huge coffee whatever with foam on top.

If they had the saying might have been altered in some way to include "oh my god, I'm getting reamed for the price of this stuff." As for the donuts, well you'd have to settle for some other, more pricy serving. That means they would charge you the equivalent of what you might otherwise spend on a dozen glazed just so they could heat the item and serve it on a plate with a fork.

Which to me all comes down to being a mere reflection upon how what was once a simple observation about some faithful old deep fried tasty has now been exchanged for overpriced coffee and something fattening that is also overpriced. This is I suppose a form of progress.

I would personally be content with a few glazed and ordinary coffee. But then these days if you coffee cup isn't made of Styrofoam with a fancy name on the side how will anyone know you even had any?

As for the donuts. Well, somehow the humble donut appears to be mutating to a food that compliments the expensive coffee.

At least I suppose, we don't do much better on the donuts any longer. Maybe we can replace it with something else. I'll vote for Pop-tarts myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home