Friday, September 22, 2006

APPLAUSE AND THE CLAUSE

This might also be known as reading the fine print. Which I think most of the time people avoid since the fine print is written in legalese. That is the lawyer language used to confess and make sure nobody understands what is being said.

For the average person this process is used in my opinion by salesman and others as a form of con job. They are required at times by law to be sure they tell you certain information about a sale. But that doesn't mean they have to say it or write it in words other than English. And since our language has plenty of the kinds of words that few understand, for the person drafting the contract it really gives them a wonderfully creative opportunity to say what they want without anyone understanding it.

For most writers naturally it is important to be understood. It is rather essential if you expect anyone to read what you write.

I think the exception might be those who write certain college text books or stereo instructions. They really do seem to excel at making their writing vague.

Now perhaps that is the best option you can imagine. A text book writer who moonlights writing sales contracts. Yeah that could work.

Having said all of that it is obvious that of course we also understand the biggest aspect of all of this. Namely how it is so very important to engage the proper use of the tongue in order to get the fine print accepted.

See the main goal of the person sitting and wanting you to sign the contract is to make you think you can trust them. So they keep talking and diverting your attention so you don't actually take time trying to actually read what you are signing.

Why if the person is truly gifted at it they can actually get you to feel like you did them a favor. Then you will want to applaud their loving nature, which in reality is that of a snake.

It is all a wonderful and joyful act that truly is fabulous from my view. But then being a person who loves to dole out the contracts, I love to use that favorite phrase, "trust me" even if you can't trust me at all.

I have even had the occasional person applaud my effort when my con job as been particularly skillful. Naturally, later that ends up being a joke. That is when they experience some consequence of my lies. Happy is not the word I can use to express how they feel at the time.

Which is one of the reasons I love the invention used to deal with such situations. It is called an answer machine. Only with angry messages the answer is one of silence. Ah, what goes unsaid can be so eloquent in its comment under such situations. Which is an art form in some cases from my point of view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home