Friday, August 25, 2006

NEVER ON A SUNDAY, UNLESS

There was a time in this country when Sunday meant business closed and pretty much life stopped in terms of anything you wanted to do, except go to church. It was I suppose a victory for the bible thumpers who made sure if we didn't do what they thought was fun we were out of luck.

But then times changed and somewhere along the way a large part of the world decided that wasn't their choice. So now days in many places you can do the same stuff you can the same stuff as any other day.

I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about whether this is a good thing. On the one hand, life does get easy when you have the freedom of knowing how Sunday is going to work like the rest of the week.

However, on the other hand it gets complicated too. I mean we end up with people presuming that since stores are open now on Sunday other services should be open too. I'm speaking of city services. Primarily I'm referring to my own situation in terms of being Mayor.

While I don't give out my phone number to people, being a Mayor isn't quite like being a governor. I don't have a legion of aids to prevent people from bothering me. And unfortunately since I do live in the city and way too many people now my address, I end up with having all kinds of people deciding to drop by and expecting me to be happy when they do it on Sunday.

Oh, I do find a way to hide on a lot of occasions. But the big problem is that I can only hide so much. People still manage to find me, the buggers.

Admittedly, I do accept that this is a price I have to pay in part because I personally do enjoy having things like the mall open on Sunday too. I can remember in our city when things closed on Sundays. Even in Mediocrity we did have a time when that happened.

And I coped as best I could. Which included way to many outings of a "wholesome" nature since it sort of was assumed you ought to do that at the same time as you didn't go shopping.

So we play the wholesome game. Yawn! Oh yeah, picnics were hardly my speed. And you can be sure with my wife's idea of using canned goods for the picnic didn't improve the appeal. Cooking has never been her specialty.

Now days we don't do the picnic thing any longer. Well not as a couple. Once and a while I do buy some take out and mosey over to some grass. But on Sundays I normally only do that if it means I can hide in the bushes from somebody.

Then I remember while hiding how the bars are now open and that really makes me extra happy. Enough to make the never on Sunday concept a reason to smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home