Thursday, August 24, 2006

ALMOST CLEVER

There are things in which "close" really isn't quite as thrilling as with others. Almost clever to me is like that.

It is when something shows the person is creative, but not good enough to truly impress or prove they are good at the effort. That makes the process end up frankly being boring and that isn't necessarily a good thing.

What truly aggravates me is when the person thinks they are talented at something. When that issue of pride becomes involved you can be sure the person isn't going to admit they didn't do something that was shear genius no matter how much it sucked.

In my city of Mediocrity where people are by nature bland and dull (it isn't a law they be that way, just seems to be a natural quality) the concept of clever definitely suffers. And I as the Mayor have to endure participating in numerous activities where clever does not rule the day.

To be honest there are truly times when I want to scream out, you hopeless excuse of a brain dead, soul less, flatulent, miserable excuse of a lump of flesh, THAT was not entertaining. I don't of course since it wouldn't help and would most likely earn me less than brownie points with my constituency.

So I end up doing my best to smile and pray things will somehow improve in due season, but they never do. I like to pretend it is going to happen only it seldom changes.

Which translates into my being involved in such memorable moments as attending a meeting of concerned citizens who want to protest whatever and it doesn't even matter if the thing is stupid. Naturally the entertainment for such events is way less than clever to the point it can easily cause yawns.

One such event took place just last week. It was a formal meeting of a group know as the Daughters of Mediocrity. They are supposedly woman who can trace their heritage back to one of the original settling families of our city.

Whether they can prove such a claim doesn't seem very important. What is important to them is that they celebrate the spirit of Mediocrity. At least that is what they claim that is their goal.

And I have to confess that in part they do adhere to that spirit. For nothing is more incredibly boring than one of their affairs.

Their last event involved attempting to raise money for the homeless. A find and noble desire, except that they added later that they were trying to raise money for homeless beavers! I'm not even sure there are any in the woods outside of town.

However, the one thing they did beyond that problem was to decide to have as their entertainment a poetry reading. Perhaps that could have been interesting if the person doing the reading wasn't trying to show the graphic brutality of beaver abuse by taking a road kill and slam it against the podium. I'm just glad they only meet once a most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home