Saturday, June 24, 2006

GETTING EVEN

Who doesn’t like this? Forget the idea of forgiveness. I only say that because from my experience people aren’t honestly forgiving. Which is probably why it gets mentioned so much.

As for me, well I gave up on that idea years ago. Mainly because I couldn’t manage to stop thinking of ways to get even.

The big problem for me was getting even without risking somebody trying to get even back. That can be the tricky part. There is no point in getting even if it only lasts long enough for the other jerk to plot an even worse form of revenge. Then you have to do the same and then he does the same and before you know it you got a war and nobody wins.

For me the tough part is plotting a way to get even that cripples my opponent so he can never try to get even, but also so even if he could, he wouldn’t since he didn’t know you cause the revenge. Now doing that without ending up by looking like some wimp who people can walk all over is even a greater challenge.

But believe me in my line of work as a politician I really have to be creative in that regard. I just consider it as good practice.

So I have always tried to let my mind have dominion over my emotions in this type of situation. I fight to set aside my ego and do what I can to approach the subject from a rational point of view.

Now admittedly that is never easy. I’m human enough to accept that my weakness often gets the best of me. However, it doesn’t keep me from trying.

Basically the key to success in this type of situation is understanding the things that dominate my opponent’s life. Then you can find out what they really can’t life without.

Most of us are stupid in that regard. We think we are so clever and able to hide such desires. Which is why we never in any way protect those little aspects of life.

It becomes an issue of sorting out what will bring the most grief. Then plotting it out carefully and slowly till you got all the details clear. Afterwards you put the strategy in play and let the dominoes fall as they will.

When I’m successful, I can sit back with a small smile of victory over getting even in a good way. But there are the failures. For them I sometimes resort to cheating. However I am not at liberty to tell all the facts about that aspect. After all keeping secrets is part of the cornerstone of planning any real functional house of getting even. Which sometimes you have to keep reminding yourself when deep down you know your plan is a few bricks short of a full load.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home