Saturday, June 17, 2006

THAT SPECIAL LITTLE GIFT

I love the moments when you get nice surprises from one source or another. It is so much fun. Only it would be nice if the surprises always conformed to one’s idea of being a good surprise. That doesn’t always happen.

Somebody once talked about how it more important to remember the spirit in which a gift was given than to consider the gift itself. Or something along those lines. Anyway the idea is supposed to be that you should be happy when somebody does something to be nice for you.

I wish I was capable of always enjoying such situations, but I’m not. There are occasions when somebody surprises me with a special gift and it just makes me groan.

That might not be the case is some of the people surrounding had any class, but they don’t. I’m sorry, but if somebody brings me a cookbook for spicy road kill creations, I don’t jump up and down for joy. You might snicker and think I’m making that up, but trust me I’m not.

I realize that you have no way of knowing that for sure, but trust me it has happen. I never asked where you even find that kind of a publication, but you can be sure I never bother to ask either!

So I sit and try to remind myself when one of my employees decides to bring me some stuffed raccoon that is moth eaten and smells moldy that they were trying to be thoughtful. I have no idea what kind of thought it was suppose to be, but it was a thought.

And having said all of that let me also say that I have done my best to try avoid such errors in judgment myself. Okay, the main way is by not giving out special gifts. That always helps.

However, I do confess that there are times when insanity takes over and then I end up deciding to give in to the pressure to surprise somebody with a special gift. One does have to make allowances for things like birthdays naturally. I do try to be gone from the office conveniently when some of my employees have their birthdays. It just is a good thing that I am able to give them I O U’s and excuse my actions as a lapse of memory.

That computer program I use to keep track of all the lies I tell in that regard has been worth every penny I’m spent on it. Of course if I had you know not squandered so much on the program I might have had enough to get all those gifts that I liked about forgetting.

But then that would be more time consuming since it would involve shopping and risking getting a bad gift. Love may never mean you have to say I’m sorry, but it doesn’t work for bosses!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home