Wednesday, May 10, 2006

CUTTING TO THE CHASE

Some people use this as a phrase intended to mean, “get to the point you dumb moron and stop having diarrhea of the mouth.” That might seem cruel and people don’t put it that way, but for the most part it really is what they mean.

As a politician of course I always have the runs in terms of what I say. I don’t know, but it just feels so much better when I use a speech or whatever to express myself. It might not be viewed that way by some, but I just don’t feel I’ve shown respect for a given subject if I don’t ramble incessantly.

Call it being silly, but if I don’t give a given subject plenty of words then it appears that I don’t care. The truth is that I don’t care about most things. I just would prefer to not let others know that.

So I have my nice portfolio of synonyms and a thesaurus so I can come up with as many variables as possible to say the same thing. What can I say, it might be a silly game, but it works for me.

Now I do admit that I get rather bored to some degree when I deal with some ordinary working person and they do the same thing. Not to necessarily play the hypocrite, but for me this is business. I’m simply protecting my hide as a Mayor.

However, it does definitely grate on my nerves when I stop to say hello to someone like our city hall security guard and the person decides to tell me his life story. I try to be polite, but do I really need to know about his latest bout with the stomach flu.

I know that is considered to be my fault since I made the mistake of asking, “How are you doing?” I only asked because that is such a standard saying. However, it isn’t one that I asked and really wanted an answer.

We all know how that is supposed to work. When someone asks how you are doing the correct response it to be “I’m fine.” You might be feeling totally crappy, but you aren’t expected to honestly say so. What can of world would this be if everyone spent the time to ask that kind of question and then was told the truth? Pretty soon people might end up feeling like that had to do something when they were told how somebody wasn’t do very good.

Why that could lead to a serious outbreak of care and concern. That would be awful. Imagine how terrible it would be if society started actually trying to help people?

I have a feeling though that we don’t have to worry about it that much. I mean let’s be real. When it comes to caring our illustrious history as greedy, selfish jerks sort of demonstrates how that isn’t something we have to fear.

In the meantime we shall keep cutting to the chase, unless we are able to excuse our rambling in some way. I’m glad I found a way that works for me even if it sounds silly to somebody else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home