Wednesday, January 04, 2006

DO IT AGAIN

There are some truly wonderful events and experiences that we always seem to cherish in a way that summons nostalgia whenever they are remember. And I think that is a good idea. What would the holidays be like if we didn’t have those thoughts?

Well rather than bore you with the obvious let me just say that in terms of doing it again I’m not concentrating on the usual choices. I’m more speaking of the aspect that for me as a politician represents the kind of choice I love to savor.

Mainly I’m speaking of our apparent obsession for repeating experiences that are in some way a blunder the first time around. We gripe about them, constantly complain about them, but guess what? Given the chance we will do it again without hesitation.

You might say that doesn’t sound right, but I see it all the time. Honestly I do. And it isn’t always with stupid or gullible people either. I’ve known some very smart people who manage to shoot themselves in the foot in some decision and then when they run out of bullets and are still bleeding will ask to borrow your loaded gun.

Logically that of course doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. But then neither does the way a lot of people function or think. Many times they truly amaze me when they make a choice of some kind that is totally other than something that will be beneficial. Then they will complain about it and go out and do it AGAIN!

I make that observation because all I can say is that I have to plead guilty to doing the same thing at times. The big difference is when I screw up and then get motivated to make the same stupid choice again I generally find a way to get some other person to foot the bill. I do that by appealing to that same element in their nature.

I just can’t tell them that. Nor can I brag about it. All I get to do is smile and lie and be grateful when my blunder gets financed by their blunder.

Of course I’m an amateur compared to the real pros at this technique. However in my case I do have the liability of only working with local taxes instead of the larger options available to the pros.

Ah I suppose in some ways when you think about it then, perhaps April 15th is the biggest form of let’s do it again there is. I for one am both happy and said about that one.

On the one hand I’m sad because I have to pay just like everyone else. On the other hand I am also happy. Because people get so upset with the pros by April 15th that they don’t think as much about my little local “tip” that we levy for services render. (We won’t discuss how those services are very much like helpful services. That’s another form of doing it again that we are better off just doing what we can to experience with or without the joy.) In any case happy doing it again folks, regardless of what the doing part feels like before or after.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home