Saturday, December 03, 2005

INVESTING IN THE FUTURE

I always love using this as an excuse. That’s right I said an excuse. And the reason I say that is because it gives me a reason to raise taxes or generates money for something that hasn’t happen yet. Which means I can use the money today for what I want and claim that we are in reality spending in a way to make the future better.

Of course I never go into detail about how the reality is the money will be spent and not replaced. I will also avoid discussing why the investment never ends in the future really being better than the present.

Is this in anyway moral or ethical? What do you think? And frankly if you need to ask then I think you’re in big trouble. Because I don’t believe I have ever even remotely suggested that doing things for moral or good reason. My first priority is protecting my butt. It won’t be around in the distant future so why should I sweat trying to help out some time when I personally won’t benefit.

Call that being silly I guess. But the plain fact is for me the future is that time like fifty years from now. Being the sneaky and greedy rat that I am I never consider any time in which I might eventually live and risk getting in trouble to be the future. That’s just the present waiting to happen.

Is that being silly? Perhaps. But it is a good justification from my point of view and that is enough for me to get by and still be able to look in the mirror.

Okay I admit that I have to leave the light off when I do look in the mirror, but I never bother to mention that part to anyone. Unless they ask naturally and that hasn’t happen so far thank goodness.

Alright I confess that is all a childish and wimpy way of dealing with my need to lie about investing in the future. But when did I ever claim to honestly be a grown up? I’m sort of working on being a juvenile delinquent in training for adulthood. Only I don’t have any decent tutors so it is kind of do it yourself training.

Now if I was under the tutelage of some sane adult I might have been better prepared to invest in the future by some more traditional means. But see I did invest in my own future by this method of growing up at my own pace. (My target goal is to be emotionally an adult by the time I’m eighty, but I’m not fanatical about it.)

In the meantime I plot along and hope that lady luck will touch me while the spirit of gullibility will continue to grace the souls of others. And as long as that happens and people don’t ask too many of the wrong questions I’ll continue to enjoy the glorious opportunity to provide the citizens hope that the money I’m squandering is really being invested in the future.

It is difficult task juggling reality and fantasy and never dropping the ball. But I do also know that even if I did, I figure somebody to blame and some lie about it to explain. Works for me at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home