Friday, December 02, 2005

BEING SPECIAL

Ah now this is my very favorite of all aspects of this special theme. And the one thing I’ve notice is that everyone thinks they are special. Oh maybe they don’t see themselves as always good, but you can be sure if they believe they are bad it is a special kind of bad.

I call it simply the joy of celebrating uniqueness. Everyone is special in terms of being unique to some degree. Not necessarily the type of unique that everyone will always celebrate, but special just the same.

The hard part is taking on the challenge of accepting how people are special. And you can be darn sure in my world that is an extra challenge. Now I don’t want to be unkind here, but in my little slice of the world being special is most like being nuts. We’re talking about people from whom reality is that place they only have read about in some magazine and don’t believe it. Yeah really.

And it becomes my job to e able to sit down and try to cope with all that type of being special. Which isn’t easy that is for sure.

I know I’ve probably brought up the idea that the land of Mediocrity where I am the political sultan of sorts is not the realm where excellence rules. But there are times when I feel a need to reflect on it more than others.

The time this becomes the most prevalent in my thinking is honestly during the holiday season. That should be a wonderful time for everyone, but it isn’t always the case in my city.

Let me just say that what bogs it down is the “special” special people. Those are the ones that go beyond your ordinary level of being special. Which to me is any person that well takes special to a point that stretches tolerance to its maximum.

For me as Mayor I keep telling myself at times that surely I could find a city where I wouldn’t be so blessed with “special” special people. I just have a hard time thinking that all Mayors everywhere have this same kind of joy.

But then I also appreciate how if I didn’t live in such a wonderful place then I would be harder pressed to find things to write about in my blog. Plus it would take away from the joy of all the wondrous and wacky adventures that take place in my Limburger Files.

I just wish there was a better way for me to capitalize on my joy in that regard. You know sell a fictional version of the story to Hollywood. Although it might work better with some believe it or not option.

However unless that happens I guess I’ll continue to savor the moment and do what I can to continue to tell myself that being special is a good thing. Now all I have to do is keep telling myself that long enough to truly believe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home