Tuesday, November 22, 2005

COUNTDOWN TO...

Time deadlines are a wonderfully addictive element for the mind. You can get totally obsessed with things like waiting, planning or any number of other aspects of clock watching. And while being impatient may not be regarded as an attribute, expectation in terms of looking forward to something great is sensation most people enjoy.

As a politician that little tidbit of knowledge about human nature truly is one that I appreciate and try to use whenever possible. And that for me is where the countdown part comes in.

I love to use the phrase “countdown to” in terms of some potential change. It conveys such wonderful illusion of control. I say illusion since I know and never bother to mention naturally how often some countdown if conditioned upon factors that can’t be controlled. And even if others are aware of this reality they still seem to thrive on the anticipation that we do have some capacity to determine the future.

Now I can’t speak for how this works in other places, but in my city the rule is the bigger the countdown clock the bigger the reaction. Hey it might be sappy and obvious, but it sure gets results. It is like when it is huge one is claiming I can control life nearly as good as god!

Okay I know that is dumb and stupid, but all I know is that it honestly gets the results I want. Plus even though I am the first to admit that we aren’t god, not wanting to be all religious, just stating the obvious, I appreciate how people still love to have their ego stroked.

And when you get behind some community related project where the countdown is played up as a team effort, BINGO! It can be like magic in terms of making people act loony about countdowns.

Of course there is nothing more potent than when the hands of that countdown point to the precious moment when the countdown is finished. I always make sure that is a public event. With the right amount of suggestion and play acting as Mayor and I tell you I’ve seen real manly men shed a tear or two.

Yep, I know it is all silly in some ways. But give a group a dream that is symbolized in a countdown clock and buddy let me tell you they’ll gladly follow me off a cliff if I handle things right.

Naturally when I say a cliff I’m speaking in terms the cliff of reality. I mean even though I don’t mind helping people leap off that ledge, I am practical enough to want to make sure they survive. Hey I’ve invested too much time getting this crop of suckers to buy into my lies, I’m not about to want to start over.

Which is another form of countdown I suppose. The one I have without a clock, but plenty of speeches that I used to be sure they eagerly and willingly embrace that being gullible and a victim are a good thing. That’s a Limburger countdown I always consider worth the wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home