Wednesday, February 14, 2007

RESCUE ME

I would love to shout this some times. Not that anyone would be likely to care or listen, but I would sure enjoy it if it made any difference.

Adding to my joy is the dutiful experience of being so often a designated deliverer myself. After all, I a city Mayor, man of the people, YADDAH, YADDAH, YADDAH.

And all of that is how I find myself in the position of so often being surrounded by drowning people (in their minds) who presume I have an unlimited supply of life preservers. Oh I can sit and show them the empty box where I used to have life preservers, that I paid for and never got paid back.

Do these people actually notice or care? Nope, it is pass the life preserver, help me, help me, gulp, gulp, gulp.

I know I being a tad silly I suppose, but honestly, it really is a problem at times. People's expectations are sooo unrealistic in that regard.

I am a lifeguard at times, but I'm sorry I can't work miracles like parting the red sea. The miracles department is over in Washington located in a building with an unmarked address that we aren't allowed to give out.

Meanwhile, back in the land of reality, I'm doing what I can to try and keep people focused on life as it actually exists. There are no magic rainbows raining perfection on the land.

Angels do exists, but they aren't on call according to our whims. They are occasions when the good Lord does intervene in life, but he has an unlisted phone number and heaven normally doesn't guarantee he will return phone calls.

So we somewhere between the lies and fantasies we grope in hopes of finding life preservers no imaginary they happen to be. If we find them, wonderful.

If we don't then we just find a substitute. Hopefully, it won't be a anchor instead. Those kinds of surprises do not bring any smiles.

Only trying to get people to appreciate that is sometimes very difficult if they did mistake an anchor for a life preserver. It is generally too late when they do that.

All you can do at that point is just keep smiling and move ahead, hoping some noise will drown out the person's cries for help before they actually drown. Yep, life can be so tough at times.

And the big key is doing your best to avoid walking too close to the water when others are drowning. That way you avoid any guilt and you can savor just being you without even worrying about life preservers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home