Thursday, February 08, 2007

WHAT NOT

This is so often one of those catch all phrases I think. What not is, well, crap. You know junk we don't want to throw away in case some day we need it even though we know we really never will. Yeah, that kind of what not.

Now, junk really ought to mean junk. But I have to admit in our disposable society sometimes it seems to apply to things like, um, people.

I'm speaking of people, who in the minds of others, have for one reason or another come to be viewed as no longer having an value. That is kind of harsh view I suppose, but it is closer to the truth I think than we are really willing to admit.

Okay, so what if we approach this thing from the standpoint of asking how do we turn some discard being into something worthwhile again. I suppose you could try to recycle them. But honestly, stuffing somebody in a car crusher just is so messy, not to mention painful. So that option is out.

Which is probably how I'm trying to make my point. The big problem is essentially that we don't want to change the cycle of supply and demand.

When you have issues like unemployment and also the affluent who have no intentions of sharing you naturally are going to get complications in terms of recycling any live. The poor already have too many problems fighting to survive and the rich are too busy staying rich to want to worry about worn out souls.

But we can admit that reality, so we conjure up whatever host of social programs we can muster to create the impression that we truly care. It sounds good at least, doesn't it?

Despite my basic nature towards being more of a user than a giver, I will confess I do look upon this as sort of challenge. Anybody can come up with programs to help the albe bodied. That's too easy.

What we need is more programs for the benefit of the people we might otherwise want to simply forget about. I think you just never know what kind of results we might get if we gave this enough thought. I'm willing to try,

Within reason naturally. I mean goodness and help does need to have some boundaries after all. We want to help, but we sure don't want it be to painful.

Perhaps that is part of the solution. We need a better incentive program of reward the people who try to help.

Then the problem is that you have to figure in where you get the funds. Ah, we could accept donations. Er, I guess that has been done to death hasn't it. Well, never worry, I'll think of a good what not solution for what not people we prefer to think stop existing. Eventually, no doubt, but no promises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home