Saturday, November 18, 2006

TAKE ME TO YOUR GREETER

Ah now this is when life gets really, really ugly. I'm telling you that there is nothing more dreadful that having someone being the official greeter of a social event that sucks at it. I'm talking about a person that has the personality of a piece of lint and looks like he or she has been eating lemons all day.

Unfortunately, it seems the duty of greeter with some events is based strictly upon being a reward for time served. Translation, they pick somebody because they worked like a slave for the organization so the greeter part is kind of reward. Which is a real yawner in some ways if you slave is a slug.

Which in part is probably they only way it comes down with some people. I mean let's be honest here, when you are talking about volunteer organizations only those who are basically lacking in a social life are going to invest the time to be involved.

They will show up for the meetings and do all the other crap needed for the organization because they have no life. It is said, it is pitiful, but that is the way it is with some people.

Oh they might be decent in many ways, but unfortunately what happens is they just aren't the life of the party. It doesn't mean they have no value, just that they will never be more than a support for an organization, never its leader.

That isn't all a bad thing you understand. And such people do deserve a reward for being faithful. But does it have to be that you designate them as the first person you see when attending some big fund raising event or party for this organization?

The last thing I figure any of us needs is to grudgingly go off to one of these gala yawners and be greeter by a person that makes a mortician seem like a stand up comedian. Which is find if you are wanting to be depressed, but if you want a hint of a good time, forget it.

Now if you start with this dynamic and transplant it to my city where apathy is a requisite for just living then the whole process gets worse. There is nothing that really makes the whole program a nightmare than to have a boring greeter nearly putting you to sleep telling you all about the agenda which will only put you to sleep.

I'm sorry, but there is no way for me to get excited about attending a major social event in my city where the featured entertainment is a spelling bee. Thrilled is not the word I can use to describe that evening.

It is more like being invited to watch the grass grow. You haven't got a chance in the world of making that a fun event. Not so me.

Alas, while I would enjoy a different option. I'm the mayor of my city. That means I have to smile when greeter by Mr. or Mrs Dullard It just doesn't mean I have to do other than pretend I like it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home