Wednesday, November 15, 2006

TAKE IT AGAIN

I'm sure you've heard people under stress make a comment sometimes about how they can't take whatever any longer. My response is, "sure you can."

No, I'm not being unnecessarily cruel. It is true that I've been accused of being that way on occasions. But only by people who really know me.

Why I say that is because there is some odd trick of fate that often makes sure we end up facing some new challenge or crisis that ends up being exactly like one we really hated. I'm not saying that is the way it has to be. All I'm saying is that at times I've seen that happen to me and to way too many others.

Now I realize God could of course have the kind of humor where he wanted to be sure people who aren't doing what he wants end up with added grief, but I'm not sure that is the problem in these situations. This seems more like on of those "oh god, this can't be happening to me," types of events. Those kinds that we sit and vow we will never take anymore of that crap again.

Then something happens and low and behold later we end up at the same time and same station. Only we don't get the benefit of any decent commercials to make up for the stress.

So I have learned in such situations just to keep my mouth shut in terms of vows. Because regardless of who is putting the whammy on me, I figure not saying anything makes sure they don't know how much that situation really pisses me off.

I'm not saying it guarantees that you will be spared from going through the same mess again. I wish that was the case. All I'm saying is that to me it seems to cut down the risks for whatever reason.

And I have noticed when talking to some employee who is in one of these "I can believe this is happening again" routines I will casually ask if they bother to gripe the last time it happen. So far they answer has been yes. Which only adds to my theory that griping or making absolute vows is the best way of going through the same rear ending another time.

Of course I definitely don't tell them that when they are pissed off at the world. That kind of option normally ends up getting you whacked or beat up in some way. The one thing that doesn't work for pissed off people is to talk to someone who says "I told you so."

In such situations "thank you" is not the more probably response. I normally wait till later. Much, much later before bringing up that issue. And the nice thing when the person is sane again they often listen. Right up to the point they go through the same crisis one more time. In which case, I told you so definitely won't work.

But we do what we can to spread a little cheer. Hopefully the person I'm talking to will feel the cheer beside what I do for listening to their stupidity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home