Tuesday, October 03, 2006

THIS LITTLE SLIGHT OF MIND

Magicians are known for the art of slight of hand. That give of illusion where you think something disappears or appears out of nowhere.

We all know it is a trick. And if the magician is really good at it we truly enjoy the entertainment.

I wish I was able to be a magician. But alas I'm just too clumsy I'm afraid. My fingers simply never cooperate that well.

So I have to rough it. Since I can't use real magic to make something disappear I do my best to rely upon some verbal illusion.

One of my best tricks in that regard is sincerity. The more I'm able to create illusion of meaning well and really caring the more my little slight of mind works.

What I really love is when I manage to do it in a way that honesty gets people so convinced I'm going to help and care they actually believe my lies I use to explain my failures in that regard. Like having a flat tire that kept me from attending some meeting with them. Ah, that is one of my best options.

And there are so many others joyous facets to this whole aspect of life that give me reason to smile. I just love spending time savoring how often this same formula works, over and over and over.

I truly love when I can do it more than once with the same person. That makes it the most cherished of memories.

But then there are the regrettable times of challenge. Those when no trick, no lie, no slight of mind can ever hope to actually achieve any success.

I'm grateful those don't occur most of the time. That is the best part of it all. I just savor so much the capacity to know there will be another day when the curtain will rise again and it will be show time!

And the nice thing I don't even need a hat to pull out a rabbit from. Since I talk out of both sides of my mouth I can always hide pretty much anything I want.

Now all I have to do is figure a way to charge admission to such events. That down side is if I did they would know it was intended as pure entertainment.

Which is something I can't really afford to do given the fact that I have to lie with a straight face. That sort of precludes letting anyone know not to believe a word that I said.

At least once and a while I do get to charge for refreshments. It just depends on how many pieces of dry out chicken I can pass off as a gourmet dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home