Saturday, February 04, 2006

DOING IT WITH SASS

It might not be popular in some circles, but personally I sort of admire the person who wins at something and then shows they are arrogant about it. Where did this silly idea come from that you have to have a killer mentality to be a champion, but a pussycat personality once you’ve won your title? At least it seems that way too me at times.

To me it is like saying, “I’m so sorry that I just kicked your butt in that competition. I sure hope you will forgive me.” Instead what is probably being thought is “hey pal, I’m better than you and if you don’t like it I’ll do it again and again and again because I can.”

I doubt you’ll hear that comment on any sports interview after a match. We might sneer, we might claimed to be shocked if we were to hear that kind of attitude, but I bet a few people would be saying secretly, “alright, now that’s the kind of attitude I like to see.”

Maybe I’m being silly, but it just seems we don’t want that kind of honesty in competition. It might be the truth, but we sure don’t want to know it.

And nowhere does it bother me more than in politics. Like with the whole idea of concession speeches. Personally since I cheat in my elections for Mayor I have been spared that need up till now, but if the day ever comes that I do have to give one, I don’t think hugs and kisses will be part of it.

I mean let’s get real here. During a campaign where you have two or more candidates exhausting themselves calling their opponents any number of things other that something good. You get your share of lies, finger pointing and a whole lot of promises that if you are elected you won’t screw the public like that clown of an opponent might.

Does any of that honestly produce buddies between the candidates? Not if they are normal and human.

So how come after the election is over the loser has to be gracious and say something totally stupid like “Let’s all get behind and support the winner.” I can bet you that isn’t what the person is thinking when by himself!

Unfortunately that just isn’t socially or politically correct. Just like it isn’t consider good form for the winner to get up with an acceptance speech and thank the voters for having the brains to vote for the right person. Like I said that is the way he might feel in private, but he’s not likely to say it so in public.

But we call all of that silliness as democracy in action. I call it social window dressing. A big curtain of lies we pull over the truth so we don’t have to look at the real mess inside. And I LOVE it. Because I can get the best of both world. A chance to appear gracious in my contrived victory and an opportunity in private to keep celebrating how cheaters do in some cases actually prosper!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home