Thursday, October 13, 2005

FINGER WARS

From time to time I get a chance to surf other blogs. And I have of course personally enjoyed the ones of a political nature for obvious reasons.

I don’t know, but it sure seems that there is an incredible preoccupation with these blogs in terms of finger pointing. Naturally I suppose it isn’t too surprising that to conservatives it is all the liberals fault and with liberals it is all the conservatives fault.

That sort of mirrors the comments you hear from both political parties. While that does make for good entertainment in some ways, I’m not sure it honestly helps the situation very much.

Take the reason fiasco with the emergency relief for Hurricane Katrina. There is no way to not accept that was a terrible disaster. And we also know that we did have some warning of its impending presence. It wasn’t like some emergencies such as an earthquake where no one knew it was going to happen.

But in the aftermath of all the needs of the victims there seemed to be far more talk than imminent reaction that actually helped the people in need. I’m not going to join the ranks of others and try to claim one person was more to blame than anyone else. I think there are enough soldiers and generals in the finger war already.

What comes to mind to me is that in reality in the midst of everyone firing these broadsides of accusations how do we find time to figure out a way to avoid the same mistake again? Call me silly, but regardless of who actually screwed up it doesn’t seem we are going to improve future crisis if we just end up with an undeclared truce in the finger pointing war rather than a peace and plan to avoid the same problem next time.

However I’m sure my comments will no doubt be drowned out by all the hot air being spewed by those who want to use any occasion as justification to bash their political opponents. That makes for a fun game I suppose, but I doubt the poor victims who end up without food or water find it much fun.

In the meantime I guess I’ll sit back and do what I can to keep score. Not sure yet how I’ll figure out who really is the winner. And even when I do, I’m not sure that is going to help make a difference for the real losers in terms of the poor folks that suffer in such crisis.

Ah the joys of democracy and freedom of speech. Are we having fun yet? I guess that depends on who you ask and when you ask them huh?

And isn’t it wonderful how we often give so much press time to the finger warriors? Yep now I call that keeping our priorities straight huh? But then during a time when nature or some other crisis hands us a bummer of a problem I guess it does good to have something to laugh about. Maybe the lip fighters will keep that in mind down the road too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home