Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A LITTLE DRAB WILL DO YAH

Now I don’t know if I personally find wearing some totally dull outfit that satisfying. But neither am I prone as a Mayor to any wild and colorful attire either. I have to walk that middle ground of fashion sense where exude some modicum of good taste and confidence, while still allowing myself the freedom of some flexible in my wardrobe the reflects my personal tastes and comfort. In short, I refuse to give over to the same anal-retentive, ultra inhibit sense of clothing that screams drab and boring.

If that is your choice fine, but it will never be mine. And one personal observation I have in that regard is, to borrow from someone else, drab is as drab does. Basically, that is my observation from dealing with people who are inclined to wear clothes that are truly bland in appeal.

I hate to once again harp on the territory of the bible thumpers, but in this arena the one’s I normally have to contend with, namely the Reverend Analbe and his bunch at the Moral Priority are all fond of drab attire. I’m talking about nothing, but gray or black suits or pants suits that are generally ill fitting. Is there something in the bible of which I am not aware that says God hates colorful clothes? That is okay I guess if it is the true, I just haven’t noticed outside of his clan that most Bible thumpers are obsessed with that type of clothes, especially around Easter.

The thing is I don’t imagine I would even think it a big deal if they were the least big happy about life in general. But since they never smile or even remotely seem to enjoy life I have a hard time not making a connection between the way they dress and their general attitude towards life.

You might be asking, is this subject really that big of a deal? Well perhaps it isn’t in terms of some problems we face as people. However if you have to depend upon these lovers of drab to do anything, expect it to be done in the most boring way possible.

At least that is the rule where I live. Maybe you’ve had a more positive experience where you live. And if that is the case, I’m happy for you. Perhaps you could even send one or two of your peppy, drab clothes lovers my way sometime. They might be able to inspire the ones in my city to lighten up a bit.

However I got a feeling that you wouldn’t be interested in switching. I can’t blame you either. But if you ever want a nice chuckle in that regard I am thinking of starting a web site and calling it “Drab is Beautiful.” It will be satire of course, but the time that I think has come for such humor.

In the meantime though, I’m still wandering the land of bland and yawns with mixed feelings. And I suppose I’m totally aware that isn’t going to change any time soon.

So if you are ever in the neighbor and decide to come for a visit let me give you one word of warning. If you decide to stop for lunch at any of our fast food restaurants or donut shops and you see somebody wearing all black and it is wrinkled and doesn’t fit their large body that well, then don’t strike up a conversation unless you want to be preached at!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home