Tuesday, September 06, 2005

BRAND NAME IDEAS

The concept of a brand name is to me one that means a name of a product or service you know and trust by virtue of a given company’s reputation. Some people use that standard when shopping to purchase things like appliances and furniture or even cars.

And in a way some people do the same thing with ideas or other items that are less tangible and more related to thought or opinion. Religion certainly qualifies. That is in terms of brand name meaning a given type of belief system or a denomination within a given belief system.

Which can be a good thing I suppose. After all there is a certain comfort and satisfaction to go some new church that is affiliated with a denomination and know what to expect.

The only reason I even bring up that aspect is to point out how I think by nature many people enjoy the idea of brand names whether you are talking shopping, religion, fast food or even politics. Basically it seems that it just makes life less complicated when so many of our choices are such that they don’t require much thought in terms of choice.

Yet choice is of course the essence of freedom isn’t it? We want the right to express ourselves, worship whatever God we want and a whole lot of other choices, which is why they are included in the Constitution’s Bill of Rights.

Only we don’t want to HAVE to make choices in some cases. Just let me go to lunch when I want, but make it simple and be sure I can go to some fast food brand name place so I can get the heart clogging, grease soaked meal I want. Don’t make me sit down and wonder if the place has something else to eat, I just want to know that when I’m in a mood for a burger that I can depend on that place having the same one it did last time I went there.

Am I saying this is a bad thing? Nope. I’m just suggesting that by nature we are a tad fickle. We love freedom in some cases, but don’t worry about it in others.

Perhaps to some alien observer we might seem way too muddled in our attitude and thinking. But then since I doubt they are human and aren’t subject to moods like us how could they be expected to understand the times we just have to do something that is other than logical or given a great deal of thought? You know, the absent of common sense.

As for me, well it is this facet of life in this country that helps to make my job as a Mayor easier. Knowing the way people often rely upon brand names gives me a foundation of support in terms of saying I’m in favor of a given brand name idea or movement. The big chore for me is being sure I figure out which is the most popular brand name so I build the biggest foundation of following and support.

Plus of course not letting anyone find out that I in all honesty don’t actually care in some cases about a brand name. Alas the tales of illusion I have to force myself to tell everyday as a Mayor. Do you feel sorry for me? Don’t answer that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home