Saturday, September 03, 2005

BEYOND REASON, BUT STILL MAKING SENSE

Logic and common sense may be good things, but it seems that there are times when what might be logical doesn’t necessarily make it the best choice. And that is probably because of the fact we don’t always do things to satisfy our intellect. We got feelings and desires that in now way are related to what makes sense.

I won’t try to bother to expose every person that I know and work with who has a problem with this. In fact I haven’t notice too many that don’t. I know plenty of those who lie, but not to many who are without the occasional bouts with insanity where they discard reason in order to accomplish whatever.

As for myself, well I am honest enough to confess I to this too much too. I wish I didn’t. After all I am a Mayor and suppose to be a role model, but that only works as long as you don’t look too far underneath the surface at who I really am.

I just bore you I guess with one example. That being my car. Do I need a luxury car? No. Would it be better as a model of fiscal responsibility if I didn’t drive a luxury car? Of course. Will I give it up for the sake of conveying the right kind of message? Absolutely not.

Is that being silly and selfish? Naturally, but I don’t intend to do it any different. And next year when I trade it off on a new model since I hate keeping any car that is more than a year old, I know I’ll another over priced luxury car with all kinds of accessories I don’t need.

However for me well I admit that my behavior in this situation (as well as almost every thing else) is beyond common sense and responsible reason. So I rationalize it as my behavior by claiming I see plenty of other people doing the same thing and THAT makes enough sense for me.

I just have ended up for whatever reason deciding this is all a good thing. There are simply times when everyone needs a time to go a little crazy and feel good about it.

We can only hope that in the process they don’t decide that using people for target practice or some other lunacy is a good choice. I mean being selfish is one thing, blasting your neighbor with a semi-automatic weapon is no where the same to me.

The big problem is not that this kind of thing happens all the time. What is a problem is how we love to pretend otherwise.

It is sort of like all those books they right on nutrition. Yeah it would be good if I read them and took their advice. But there is no way I’m going to. Junk food just tastes to good!

So do me a favor and learn to enjoy the times when you do something just because. Trust me you feel so much better the morning after if you remember joy is more important than wisdom. (You may quote me if you can get anyone to believe it!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home