Saturday, November 04, 2006

HOW COME?

To me this is not a rhetorical question. It is a pondering romance in quest of a solution and satisfaction. What that rambling means is that there are times when we can ignore life and others when it reaches out and kicks us in the ass.

Why a given issue or problem gets our attention is hard to say. Certainly if it is personally impacting we are more prone to think about the subject, but not always.

I have worked very hard in my life finding new and creative ways of avoiding any pain. That includes problems.

Whenever possible I dump them on others so I can enjoy having fun. And I don't even feel any shame over mentioning it.

Then there are those moments when I'm stuck. Some problem busts down my office door and gets in my face. Well, okay that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I think you get the idea. I just don't like bad news.

And in the pursuit of less than courageous labors when I do reach that atrocious climate where a problem just won't go away, I sigh and then figure the best way to run away. Hey, I'm not going to pretend that I don't have knees like jello and no spine, but even us jelly fish types do have the brains to do more than stay around and get victimized.

Still despite all the effort and desire to savior some taste of heaven rather than an appetizer from hell, there are just times you can't keep the taste from lingering in your mouth. That is when it calls for those moments of pure resolve.

But since I too gutless to take that approach, I normally just send a memo where I forge somebody else's name to take the heat. Then I can skip off to more sane choices than getting depressed over the crap and the how comes I can't control.

That is my approach naturally, but it isn't one that I recommend to my employees. So when they come to me with their how come questions, I'm stuck. I have to listen and then do what I can to avoid letting my head dwell on that reality.

The way I figure depressing is bad. So why mess with anything depressing if I can find a way to let somebody else do the worry.

All of this comes down to a simple reality. There should never have to be any how comes in life.

Well at least none that I have to think about if I can avoid it. Which is in itself a whole different type of how come. That kind is answered by a because, which means because I don't want to worry and enjoying not worrying might mean you get stuck thinking about it. That's the type of how come I can live with. As for others, well, we can talk about it at lunch. Which means I'll go to lunch and you can talk to yourself about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home