Friday, February 17, 2006

EASY

I wish everything that I had been told in life that was easy turned out to be that way. That phrase about something being “a piece of cake” leaves out the part about whether the cake is hard as a rock. I know leave it to me to come up with that observation.

What I can really hate myself for is the number of times that I’ve taken somebody’s word for something being easy. And the really, really stupid part is if they have been wrong in the past and I still believe them the next time! Now that is part I never seem to change, which is of course my fault, but it doesn’t mean I like it or have been able to change it.

Admittedly we only worry about things being easy when they are impossible. Difficult doesn’t mean it won’t happen. So in reality we do have more reason to be concerned when we have some fear something is not going to happen.

That is my feeling from my own experiences. I wish it were otherwise. I so wish that easy was as easy to have take place as it was to say. And I wish that hard was never as hard as it honestly turned out to be.

About the only redeeming part to any of this for me is that as a politician I do get the joy of saying whatever I want regardless of how hard or easy something actually turns out to be in terms of reality. Now that is the best part. A few lies, a few broken promises and TA-DAH I get the joy of not having to worry about how easy something was in terms of the image the public sees.

Of course the main challenge is the art of clever finger pointing. I have to be sure that people know it wasn’t my fault, but I have to avoid blaming a given person so I risk that person telling the truth.

Basically I handle that part by saying we will have a “fact finding” committee investigate the problem. I pick the committee of course. Unless there is too much heat then I give the public names of impressive people they might trust.

Only I control when the meetings take place and what with so many people being such publicity hounds they often are content just to be listed with credit for being on the committee. That way they don’t ever question when there are no meetings if they even remember being on the committee in the first place. In the end, most of the time I do manage to luck out and have some other problem come up so people forget the one that I said was easy that really wasn’t.

I know this all sounds a bit complicated just to save face when something that was claimed to be easy turned out not to be. But heck, it is all part of the big picture. That is the one I try to keep as fuzzy as possible so nobody sees the truth.

What can I say? For me it is a living. And anytime I can make that easy I feel like a success!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home