Monday, January 09, 2006

FIRE, FUEL AND THE GOLDEN RULE

In this situation to me when I speak of fire I’m talking about a crisis. And fuel is whatever circumstance or problem is causing the fire.

As for the idea of the golden rule well in this case it basically has for me to do with the idea of putting out the fire. Because when you are having to deal with an emergency that is a crisis big time you better give priority to putting out that fire or you might end up losing your gold. Which is the priority, saving the gold. It is the first and foremost rule of survival in terms of these fires.

In keeping with that aspect then the more you avoid letting any fuel be available to cause a fire the less chance you have a worrying about a fire. That is logical and practical, but it is amazing how many times it doesn’t happen.

Fire prevention too often in that regard is something one ends up thinking about after the fire is burning out of control and you figure “you know if I had paid attention to that problem when it wasn’t an emergency maybe it wouldn’t be a disaster now.” However complicating this whole process is the difficulty of getting other people to help out even if it is there butt that risks being scorched.

So that is the dynamics I appreciate when facing some smoke and knowing it could easily erupt in a major fire. Let the Limburger golden rule kick in! Oh yeah it sounds great. I just wish it worked that way.

Like the other day. We don’t have a lot of traffic problems in my city. It is after a small metropolis. And the biggest traffic problems often occur on Thursday night before a three day weekend. That is when as many people as possible are hurrying to get anywhere, but the city of Mediocrity.

Despite that reality though there was a case the other day when we had this conflict brewing. They were planning on hosting this convention for something, I didn’t pay attention to be honest, but at the same time the downtown businesses were going to have a big sale. So that mean we were going to be faced with a major traffic snag. And thus I went to the council and felt we should do something in the way of traffic control.

I explain the whole thing in hopes they would appreciate the smoke and also offered up my form of fire prevention. I wanted to have the cops handle traffic control. Essentially make sure we directed the traffic so that the visitors could get to the parking as quickly as possible.

I will give the council credit they did actually listen. What I wanted or needed in this case was a ruling by our council that authorized the extra expense. It is kind of complicated, but basically that is what it came down to me needing.

Which is exactly NOT what they did. After at least a dozen questions that had little to do with the whole problem they elected to adjourn without making a decision. I tried to get them to understand that wasn’t going to solve the problem. But I might have been talking to the wall for as good it did to mention it.

All I can say is on the day of the fire, I called off sick and didn’t answer my phone. Some of the messages on my answer machine were hardly uplifting. But the nice thing is how enough booze makes you deaf to such messages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home