Thursday, May 18, 2006

TIPPING

I think way back in the distant pass of blogging I did a post on the concept of tipping. At least the regular type that we get stuck with when going to a restaurant.

Instead I thought I would focus on what for me is a better type of tipping. I’m speaking of the kind of tipping where you offer somebody information that is helpful to them in some special way. It is often a tidbit of thought that might spare that person from some grief and is often based upon your own experiences. You are just doing what you can to help spare another soul from going through your ordeal.

Now there are those tips, which you have to pay for. Say if you want help from some one who is going to teach you a way to be more successful. That is normally more than a simple tip, but to me is it does fall under that general category.

In either case I see that kind of tipping to be a lot more beneficial that the first type of tipping. That is because for one reason this type of tipping doesn’t cost you anything. And secondly, there is the added value is that you may even gain a friend in the process. At least they may feel like they have a debt to you out of gratitude if you work it right.

The other aspect to me is that you don’t have to figure it in percent. Like with a meal, you wait till you get the bill and then you have to make it a percentage of the total and if you don’t do it right, the waitress will think you are a jerk.

Hey, that is important to me. I mean there I am sitting down and trying to recover from some expensive bout of gluttony with my mind numb from too much booze, starch and sugar. The last thing I want to do is think too hard about anything at that moment. I just want to sit back and relax while hoping I can get home with having an accident from being under the influence. And also to hope I can make it before I need to take a nap. So please don’t complicate my life with asking me to think in the process.

About the only down side as far as I’m concerned resides with getting helpful tips that are really helpful. Some people love to give tips who honestly have no clue what they are talking about.

For example, if you are saying talking to somebody who is telling you how he or she is getting over a bout with food poisoning received from eating something they cook, you might not want their tips on cooking. That is the type of helpful tip that should be obvious, but I’m not sure it is.

I know, because there are plenty of times when I myself make the stupid mistake of listening to what somebody else says even though they have been wrong in the past. So I suppose the best tip a person could have about taking tips is be sure that you take them from the right source.

At least it sounds good. I keep trying to tell myself that even when I don’t find out tell I blew it that I didn’t take my own tip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home