Thursday, May 25, 2006

GLADNESS VERSES MADNESS

I know that to some people this title might seem like I’m intending upon rambling about something that is obvious. Gladness is easy for most of us to understand. When something makes you feel good, it makes you glad. At least it should and hopefully does.

Madness, in this posting has to do with sanity and not being upset about something. Now I know that kind madness might seem appropriate when talking about an opposite of gladness, it just isn’t the direction I want to go in this case.

To me there are all kinds of madness that don’t necessarily qualify as utter insanity. Real insanity is an ongoing condition that may or may not be treatable. However, even a sane person can have a temporary bout of madness where you get a bad case of the industrial strength stupidity.

After all, being human means we all have our moments when our brain sort of goes on vacation for one reason or another. We look back later and say, “what was I thinking?” Course in reality the answer it, “Oops.” Which is my way of saying accidents happen and when they happen in the worst possible situation we really look stupid regardless of how smart we think we are.

What amazes me I guess is how often we tolerate in our society various systems and leaders who are frankly well into the realm of madness. And yet, because of our pursuit of gladness in different forms we tolerate and accept what really doesn’t make sense.

This has introduced from my point of view the basic addition to the English language of words like “Oxymoron.” I’m sure there must have been a time in the passed when we might have worked harder at question when two words don’t actually go together, but not these days.

I think the pursuit of gladness is part of the reason. We get so obsessed with trying to find a way to not think about all the crap we tolerate everyday that we just don’t want to dwell on things that are just plain dumb and stupid.

In a way I feel that for most of this such situations are our concession to a tolerable form of madness. We accept what is insane or absurd because we just are so weary of the all the emotionally draining, stress filled aspects of life, we just can only muster a smile as best.

Now all I have done is simply to make an observation about reality as most of us seem to live it. And I say in my own way that this is in reality a tribute to our genius. I mean without making so much effort to avoid the crap, we might really go insane. So perhaps a little madness is the perfect way to preserve some silver of gladness so we don’t actually end up beyond any point of real logic.

So enjoy folks. Act silly once and a while. Dance when you get bored. It might look like madness, but it will be a form of gladness to keep us from any real madness and that is a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home