Monday, January 25, 2010

Basements

I built a survival shelter in my basement

prepared for the end of the world,

2012 might come sooner than predicted,

we could run out of oil any day

and the economy might totally fall apart tomorrow.

 

So I would be secure

where nothing could harm me,

be free from any worries or fears.

 

Stocked my shield against danger

made sure it was totally self reliant,

then quit my job and went inside,

ready to feel so good

that I could sleep at night

without anxiety over what will happen tomorrow.

 

But it got so lonely in that haven,

there wasn’t much happiness

inside steel walls

if I never saw the world

or experienced a day again.

 

Six long months I endured that isolation,

finally so desperate for company,

left to find some friendly face.

 

Discovered I had missed so many things,

parties, promotions and unexpected surprises,

the ache of my regret

was only made worse,

by the fact that everyone

had forgotten my name.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home