Sunday, April 17, 2011

Car Pools

I envisioned being a race car driver
and speeding on roads without construction,
roaring in the red line,
heart pounding from the power,
heading for the finish line
trophy waiting as my reward.

No way I was going to join a car pool,
be another passenger without control
headed to the same place
without hope or freedom.

But race cars cost more than I could dream
plus they didn’t look for new recruits
among the tracks where such wheels spun.

Still I refuse the car pool option
my life mean something more than that,
freedom was my destiny
never going to surrender
to a stale and dull fate.

So I tried to take an economy car
add some decals and paint job,
big tires and even bought a helmet,
zipping down the freeway
past that commuter van
felt so different and special,
at least while seeing them in the rear view mirror.

Inside the truth ate at my spirit
it was all an illusion and I really wasn’t different
than all those lives sharing the same vehicle.

One day after my motorized chariot died,
just decided to join the others
and amazingly I felt a special harmony
that didn’t come from going alone.

Was then it occurred too me
how we all have to travel,
but doing it in a way that gave encouragement
meant so much more on the journey
instead of getting lost from my destination
by just thinking about myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home