Friday, August 20, 2010

On the road again

Can't remember a time
when this song didn't play in my head,
Willie's voice echoing the lyrics
feeling myself apart of being in some saddle,
even though mine was a bucket seat in my compact car.

Pretended I had a cowboy hat
with Willie riding shotgun
and Waylan Jennings in the rear seat
watching my back side.

Had a great time singing together,
tried to ignore their imagined stares over my monotone,
still felt great even if the other drivers gave me "that" look,
I didn't care,
for in my mind we were traveling together,
to nowhere special,
but feeling so proud
didn't have to apologize for not asking for directions.

Kind of sad now, Waylan is gone on to a higher stage,
Willie, well he's still there by my side,
only too busy watching out for those dang IRS rustlers.

Somehow imagining them lurking in the bushes
waiting to ambush your wallet
takes the joy out of riding the asphalt range.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home